Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chapter Seven: Confrontation



The following morning, Nina was trying to prepare some much needed coffee when Daniel surprised her. 
"Morning beautiful." He whispered as he embraced her. Nina giggled softly.
"Morning." She replied. She felt much better today after they had gotten everything out in the open. She even felt closer to Daniel. The only thing missing was sleep, but that's why they invented coffee. 


When the coffee was finished, Nina was preparing to fill her mug when Daniel swiftly took it away. 
"Daniel!" Nina gasped. Daniel just winked and went to sit at the breakfast bar. 
"Thank you." He said jokingly as he took a sip. Nina squinted her eyes at him and began to fill another mug. 


"So that was your mission all along? to distract me and steal my coffee?" Nina joked before she took a sip of her coffee. Daniel laughed. 
"Maybe." Daniel joked back. The two sipped their caffeinated beverages in silence for a few moments. 
"Is it casual Friday?" Nina asked. She had just now looked at what her husband was actually wearing.
"Yes Thank God. It's torture wearing a suit and tie everyday. Especially when you're just at a cubicle." Daniel answered. Nina smiled at his response. It wasn't a day that went by when he was complaining about his workplace attire. 
"Are you heading in early?" He asked. Nina was caught briefly off guard.
"Uh yeah. I have a 9 o'clock session." Nina answered. She took another sip in case he further inquired. 
"Alright." Daniel said. He didn't notice his wife's sudden change. Nina finished her coffee and grabbed her briefcase. 
"No breakfast?" Daniel called out as he watched her head for the door.
"No time." She yelled back. "Love you." She said and left. 
"Love you too." He replied even though she was no longer in the apartment. 


Nina was thankful that Daniel didn't ask anymore questions. She really hated lying to him, but she didn't want  him to know the truth, not yet. She wasn't actually going into work early. Instead, she was paying her sister-in-law a visit. She tossed her briefcase in the backseat and started her poor excuse for a car. 

After weaving through the morning traffic and dozens of pedestrians, Nina found herself closer to their side of town. The little brown building was getting nearer and nearer in her sight. She flicked on her right turn signal and parked her car.


She had to walk back around to get to the entrance so she did. As she was approaching the door, she spotted old newspapers. She shook her head in disgust. Once inside she tried to remember their apartment number. 
I'm sure I could just follow the trail of beer bottles and crack pipes She thought. No I came here to help, not judge She reminded herself. 
She asked a tenant if they knew where the Harrison's lived and the older woman politely helped her. Nina thanked her for her help and entered the elevator. 


Nina exited the elevator and began to knock on the tan door. She got no answer and so she started up again. 
I know someone is home She thought.


Veronica was passed out in bed as usual. In her slumber, she thought she heard knocking. She assumed it was just her pounding headache but she came to realize it was the door. 
"Who the hell is that?" She asked herself out loud. She slowly began to sit up. As she did it felt like she had just gotten off a roller coaster. Her head was spinning and she couldn't maintain her balance.  



Veronica nearly slipped on the beer bottle as she stood. She sighed and continued to get up. She glanced over at the other culprits of her hangover, her cigarettes and her "borrowed" pills. 
"I gotta stop this shit." She said to herself and stumbled out of the room.


Veronica reached the door at last and swung it open. She didn't care who was on the other end, she just wanted to knocking to cease.
"Do you know what time it is?!" She yelled at her visitor. To her surprise, it was Nina.
"Twenty-five minutes to Nine." Nina replied. 
"What the hell are you doing here?" Veronica barked. 
"I was in the neighborhood." Nina said with a shrug. She slide past Veronica and walked towards the living room. Her nostrils were immediately hit with the smell of smoke. For a moment she wondered if she had actually walked into a smoke joint. 


"I did not invite you into to my home!" Veronica reminded Nina rudely. She didn't appreciate the lack of respect she was showing.
"I didn't need you to." Nina snapped back. "Besides I'm not here for you, I want to speak with Jeremy." Nina added.
"He's at school obviously." Veronica said.
"Obviously." Nina repeated. "I was hoping to leave earlier, but the traffic got in the way." Nina responded.
"That should have been a cue to turn your ass around. What do you want with my son anyway?" Veronica asked. 


"It doesn't concern you." Nina replied. Veronica narrowed her eyes at the woman in front of her. She didn't care that her head was pounding and her stomach contents were threatening to make an appearance. 
"You've got some fucking balls coming to my house disrespecting me." Veronica said. She stood back and eyed Nina, daring her to respond. 
"Why should I respect you?" Nina tossed back. "You don't even respect yourself, your kids or your home. Look at you!" Nina replied and gestured her hand at Veronica's body. Nina took the moment to really look at Veronica. The decaying of her teeth, the skeleton-like frame she had, the permanent dark circles under her eyes, the premature wrinkles she was beginning to have, it was all clear signs that she was using again. 
"You look like you just finished a crack-binge or something." Nina commented after her inspection was over. 
Veronica's eyes widened. 
"I don't do crack." Veronica responded. "And you interrupted my sleep, of course I'm going to look tired." She tried to explain.
"Sure, that's it." Nina replied sarcastically. 


"Well look at you. At least I don't look like I'm pregnant when I'm not." Veronica said bitterly. She knew it was a sore spot for Nina and it's exactly why she brought it up.
A hurt look spread across Nina's face and for a moment she didn't know what to say.
"When was the last time you were pregnant anyways? How long did that last?" Veronica continued to insult Nina. The words stung like they had came to life and turned into little darts, each aiming for her heart. 
"I didn't come here to talk about me." Nina said as she fought back the tears. "I just need to know if the boys are alright." Nina replied honestly. And it was the truth. Her sole purpose for this visit was to hear from Jeremy, that he was happy living here and safe.
"Why don't you have your own kids and worry about them? Mines are fine." Veronica said smugly. That was the final straw for Nina. She had no reason to continue to be nice to this bitch in front of her. 


Nina inched closer, closing the space in between them. 
"I came here because I care. Because I have a heart and can't bear the thought of those boys watching you kill yourself everyday. They don't deserve it and you don't deserve them!" Nina yelled. Her voice was raw with emotion and through her rant, a tear managed to escape. Veronica tried to back up. She put her hand up and tried to speak, but nothing came out. 


Just when it looked like Veronica was going to reply, Nina slapped her. She couldn't take another smart ass comment and wouldn't give her the chance. 
"The next time you want to bring my kids into this, it will be more than a slap." Nina threatened. "I was a better mother in a few months than you have ever been in decades." Nina pulled herself away and forced herself to leave. 
"And clean this shit up, the whole house stinks and so do you." Nina said before she slammed the door shut behind her. The whole apartment shook briefly. Veronica touched her cheek and fell back onto the couch in shock and fear.



**Question: Are the pictures too small?















10 comments:

  1. Yay new chapter! I think the pictures are fine for me at least. Maybe a little bit bigger would be cool, but I never thought about it until you asked the question.

    Wow. Go Nina. I'm glad you slapped Veronica across the face, that bitch needed that, and MORE. My heart aches for Nina, you write her so well. You really do.

    Ugh I just want to put my foot in Veronica's ass and make her snap out of her drug binge she's been on. She has children that need her, and she's going to kill herself if she keeps on the course she's on.

    I can't say enough good things about this story. It pisses me off and makes me want to cry at the same time, which is a compliment.

    I still do have hope for a happy ending, at least for the kids and Nina, they deserve it. As for Veronica, I hope she can get clean, but I don't have many high hopes for her, sadly. Great chapter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I liked the smaller pictures for how the theme looks, but I was wondering what the readers might think too. Yes, go Nina! lol Veronica had that coming, but can a slap really knock some sense into her? We'll see. Thank you so much for the compliment. I'm glad that you enjoy my story and you take the time to read and comment.

      Delete
  2. Pics are fine if that's what you want.
    Wow. What a fight! I'd expected Veronica to slap back, but then, she's not exactly in a physical state to be able to retaliate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica is like a little Chihuahua, all bark and no bite. She was more frighten than anything so she wasn't going to lift a finger. She didn't know how far she was going because she was only focusing on hurting Nina. Well Nina showed her lol. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
    2. Chihuahuas bite. Hard. Little bites, yes, but there's a reason they call them ankle biters lol. :) Still, I love my chi-italian greyhound mix. (he's never bitten anyone, btw, but my bug man says that of all the dogs he deals with on his job, chi's scare him most)

      Delete
    3. Lol! Sorry. I guess I was wrong then. Still Veronica doesn't want to fight Nina. She'd lose for sure.

      Delete
  3. I love the pictures, but bigger ones may have more of an impact.

    anyhow I was rolling when Nina said clean this shit up! She was boss coming in there regulating. that's low of Veronica stank behind to bring up Nina's pregnancies. love this update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! And now you have me laughing. Nina couldn't take anymore of Veronica so she let her have it. Thank you for reading and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could have been worse, like bitch slaps and everything, I'm glad it didn't though, that would have made for some serious awkward moments at family functions. That was very low of Veronica bringing up Nina's pregnancies, I can't say it was the alcohol talking, she sounded too gleeful when she was attacking her, almost as if she'd beeb waiting for the moment to cut Nina to pieces the only way she knew would hurt the most. I really love the direction and tone of this, I especially love how real your characters are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would have been awkward, but sadly Daniel is aware of them not liking each other. They usually aren't around each other, but Nina wanted to make good on her promise and check on the boys. Veronica was experiencing a hangover but she knew the damage she was causing and didn't care. Yes she wanted to hurt Nina because she wanted to get her back. It was petty, but that's Veronica. Thank you so much, that last bit really made me smile. Thanks again for commenting and reading!

      Delete